Monday 23 April 2018

A Good Test

Finally, it looks like Spring has sprung. One weekend it's about 10 degrees down on the seasonal norm, next, it is the hottest April day for 70 odd years! That then was the cue for me to get my gear on and take a short road trip.

With time running out for me to get 600+ miles up on Ginny before my trip to Ireland, I'd penciled in a ride to my friend Jo in Wincanton and a ride out with my friend Helen and her husband David (Vid). The former I was doing whatever, the latter may have been cancelled if the weather had been inclement. As it turned out though, it was warm and sunny the entire trip, bar about 5 minutes of light rain when I left Wincanton.

With a mixture of motorway and back roads, to aid the running in process, I was in the saddle for about 3.5 hours on the run down. It's a worry whenever you buy a new bike about how comfortable it will be but I have to say, Ginny proved she's more than capable of cushioning my backside for miles on end. Sure, I had to move about a bit, the longer the journey went but it wasn't excruciatingly uncomfortable. As I said, I was in the saddle non stop for 3.5 hours. Normally on tour, I/we would be stopping after 90 mins or so, as Grizzly has to keep his caffeine levels topped up! So I'm well pleased with the comfort, especially as  I've got used to the Sprint's gel seat.

With a run down to Selsey Bill with Helen & Vid, Helen on her brand new Honda NC750 collected that morning, my round trip clocked up the best part of 360 miles, so I'm just a short dash away form the magic 600 and first service.

I fuelled Ginny up twice on the trip, to the tune of almost 37 litres and £46. That's the first fuel I've put in her since new. MPG was about 45 for the original tankful and 63 for the second, which included the motorway stints on cruise control. If 63 is indicative of cruising mpg, then I'll be well pleased with that. I'd get something similar from the Sprint on a run, with half the cylinders and two thirds the CCs.

With 18 days left until I leave for Ireland, my main focus now is on getting all the paperwork together and creating my daily tomtom itineraries.

That's all for now.




No comments:

Post a Comment