Wednesday 4 April 2018

All Change

or should I say, Alles verändern?

 With just 37 days to go until I leave home on this trip, there's little new to report, with the exception of one major item. You see, Michael Dunlop isn't the only one switching manufacturers for the North West. Both he and I have taken the decision to move across to the BMW camp, he with Tyco BMW race team, me with the purchase of a beautiful K1600 GT SE.

I have been toying with the idea for well over a year and postponed the idea for last year's Scandinavia trip due to uncertainty at work. With that side of things clearer, i.e. I'll be jobless in August, I decided now was the time to take the plunge. My beautiful baby girl, Ginny, was born on 17th March and weighs in at a healthy 334kg.

I've decided to keep the Sprint for now, as I don't really want to commute on Ginny, so given that and the crap weather we've had so far this year, there's a slight time pressure on me, to get 600 miles covered AND Ginny serviced, before I set off for Ireland. So far, she's just over the 150 mark. I've got  a couple of friends I can visit over the next few weeks and one of them is a biker, so I'm hoping we'll get to ride out together. Ginny is already booked in for her first checkup on the 8th May, so my fingers are crossed that springtime arrives really soon.

The Sprint has been a great servant and I'd not hesitate to buy another, IF it came with shaft drive. Unfortunately, the chain adjustment on the Sprint is the most difficult you'll ever come across and that, together with the mess a chain creates, was a big factor in me wanting to go for a shaft. She'll still be ideal for nipping through the London traffic over the next few months though, so she's not being consigned to the scrap heap just yet. It'll be like having a wife and a mistress at the same time. On the one hand, the pretty, petite, reliable British girl, on the other, the glamorous, buxom, exciting fraulein.  Lucky me! 😉   


Both my GT SEs



No comments:

Post a Comment